The “European Network of Political Foundations – independent actors in democracy promotion, development cooperation and political dialogue” was established in 2006 as a platform, serving as a communication and dialogue instrument between political foundations in Europe and the Institutions of the European Union as well as civil society actors in the fields of democracy promotion, development cooperation and political dialogue. Further to that it provides services to its members to promote their integration into the respective programmes of the European Union.
1. In the period January 2009 – April 2012 ENoP was co-funded by DG Development/EuropeAid under the budgetline “Non-State Actors and Local Authorities in Development”. The project was implemented by a consortium of eight partners, headed by the Konrad Adenauer Foundation. The name of the project is “Strengthening internal and external communication and cooperation of Political Foundations from EU-Member states in development cooperation and democracy promotion.”
- Integration of political education for adults into the development concept of the EU
- Training and involvement of young and small member organizations in consultation processes and development projects
2. The follow up project started in September 2012 and will end in February 2015. It is financed under the same budget line as ENoP I. The title of the project is: “Building a bridge towards socio-political stakeholders for an effective EU development assistance – enhanced dialogue with and within the European Network of Political Foundations”. The second project is co-financed by the European Commission and a consortium of 15 ENoP members, with a leading applicant the Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
Backbone of the second EU financed project are six internal Working Groups which meet twice per year in order to draft policy papers and contribute to consultation processes. In addition they initialize the organisation minimum two public conferences per year and internal thematic trainings. The WGs are open to ENoP member representatives. Their topics of the WGs are:
- Development assistance
- Africa-EU Relations
- Democracy support
- EU Financial Instruments/Aid modalities
Further activities are the continuation of the publication ENoP Quarterly and regular meetings with EU institutions and other stakeholders in the filed Democracy support and Development cooperation.
- Participation and contribution to EU consultation processes
- Solidifying the expertise of ENoP members in development policy areas
- Facilitating the exchange among ENoP members in order to provide their expertise and to consolidate ENoP contributions in structured dialogue exchanges
ENoP currently consists of 69 political foundations coming from 25 countries in the EU and encompassing 6 political families, namely: ALDE, EPP, S&D, ECR, Greens/EFA, GUE/NGL (please, refer also to the attached member sheet, explaining the country and affiliation of our members).
The working structure of ENoP consists of a General assembly and a Steering committee. The General Assembly meets once a year. The Steering Committee is composed of 19 members (including substitutes) coming from 6 party families and it meets every two months.
The General Assembly elects for a two year period the ENoP Network Coordinator, Deputy Coordinator and Treasurer.